Saturday 23 March 2013

MY THOUGHTS ON MATRIMONY


Dear Diary,
I had a blazing argument with my folks today.  Wish I could unfriend them.  They say I’m getting old and I should marry soon, like marry in a week…… is this a joke or what……and how am i supposed to do that…… catch the first guy on the road?. They want an arranged marriage – I am old enough to marry but not old enough for my own swayamvar, so to speak.  I mean, what is swayamvar if not a chance to make my own matrimonial choice?  If someone were to post swayamvar online, I would definitely like it.  It’s ok for them to go to pandits, register me on matrimonial sites and give out my details to strangers, including Pinky aunty with red lipstick louder than her voice and bright pink nail polish – ugh – but I cannot go on a Facebook app on matrimony.  Facebook matchmaking?  They won’t hear of it.  It’s not safe.
Not safe?  How is it less safe than anywhere else?   I can choose who is to see me.  I mean, I wouldn’t waste my precious picture on just anybody. Who has control over my details elsewhere – the neighborhood pundit – or Pinky aunty? I’d love to try any app on matrimony where the profiles have complete privacy even from Facebook friends. Plus, data is drawn from the Facebook profile itself – I mean, it would be difficult for a person with lots of friends friends to fake a profile.  And if I get to see messages that I want and like – bridal clothes, honeymoon getaways, caterers, jewellery – it will mean more choices…from the comfort of my home.
Why can’t my folks see that I can manage, and if I can’t I can update myself on how best to keep myself safe online?  It’s for me to learn, manage just as it is for me to keep myself safe while crossing a road, take precautions when out alone, file my returns and what not. Since the privacy issue is resolved, I would like to use a platform that has a network focused towards what I need….. i mean people who genuinely what to get married…..and not there for a few laughs. You can get a ‘feel’ of things, and the dangers are as many or as few as anywhere in this world.  Let’s have faith in humanity and in some force that takes care of things, once you’re responsible enough (which I am now that I have crossed the twenty-something barrier).  It’ll still be an arranged match of sorts – I’ll still judge by certain parameters that the profile will contain.  Except, the initial meeting will be in a virtual space rather than at a tea party with Pinky aunty hovering in the background. Whats wrong with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment