Monday 3 June 2013

A MOTHER’S MATRIMONIAL MUSINGS



Right now, the focus of my life is Project Bindiya.  Bindiya is my 24 year old daughter. I am totally immersed in matrimonial alliances.  I have spread the word around in my circle, spoken to a few astrologers and flaunted my Bindiya at social gatherings.  I know the word is out – yet should I also tap matrimonial sites?
Like many of my generation, I am a little wary of the internet.  I can just about do my mails and google recipes.  Bindiya created a Facebook account for me so that I can network with old friends but I hardly log in; although when I do, I enjoy discussing with old friends what next will happen to Simar or Ram and Priya.
In fact, it was one such visit to Facebook that gave me the idea of matrimonial sites.  Something called marryinaweek there caught my eye.  From what I understand, it is like a matrimonial site with the usual advantage of a larger bank of prospective matches and the convenience of availability at a click but also has more: it’s a first of its kind matrimonial app linked to Facebook and as of now it is free. I read that it takes relevant information from a Facebook profile.  Should I ask Bindiya to register?  While I have been talking about our own community, I know that I have given my daughter the education and exposure to life that I was denied and deep down in my heart I fear that merely matching community may not be enough for her.  I want her to find a soul mate in the true sense of the word.  If he has the qualities to keep her secure and happy, I may be willing to compromise on the community part.  Anyway, who knows I may be lucky that someone from our community may also be up on Facebook and will suit in other ways as well?!
Bindiya decides who can view her profile so my fears about letting pictures and details loose on the internet without privacy become unfounded.  There will be no clutter since if she does not express an interest, the profile expires in a week; and if a prospect is really interested or interesting, the response will have to be in a week, or it is lost.  As a matrimonial site with a difference, it enables prospects to see the entire person – videos, pictures, posts and details – if allowed.  And since only those with 50 or more friends will have profiles taken, I am a little relaxed by the smaller chance then of sham profiles.  I know that along with other Facebook friends she can shut me out in her privacy settings, but as mother and daughter, we’ll share something and she does rely on my maturer outlook in many things.  I am traditional enough to know that she is “paraya dhan” and once married, she will have her privacy settings that will exclude me even in life.  She introduced me to Facebook – wonder what she’ll say when I tell her I found a matrimonial app I would like to introduce her to?

No comments:

Post a Comment