Sunday 14 July 2013

MARRIAGE WEBSITES VERSUS MATRIMONIAL SPEED DATING

One evening after a peg or two when a warm glow had begun making me benignly disposed towards the world in general and my wine guzzling cousin in particular, I declared,” I am going to help you”. The poor fellow was single at 36. That will not do. ‘You can’t,’ the figure draped on sofa had grunted.
‘Never mind, when ‘yours truly’ sets out to solve your problems, you get them solved.’
On hearing my determined tone, my cousin looked myopically at me from behind his thick lenses.” I knew you are my real friend.’ A sob followed the sound of another tipping in his glass.
I enthusiastically began laying my plan. ‘At first I would register you with a famous marriage website. We will get hundreds of responses. We will…….,’ I stopped. He was vehemently shaking his head. ‘It won’t work. Well wishers had already tried the route. The experience of bride hunting from the profiles received from the marriage websites had proved unsatisfying . The fast paced life left no time for anything. Even the first meeting for preliminaries had taken months to arrange. The ambience in the restaurant fixed for the first meeting was more like shopping than a matrimonial dating. The only fellow who benefitted was the waiter.”
I was not deterred. I had heard of a novel concept termed matrimonial speed dating. I told him that it was a comparatively more efficient way than the traditional matrimonial dating via marriage website. There you meet only one person and if you decide the person to be incompatible you come back to square one. While in a speed dating event, a number of people compatible with each other are brought together. You get a chance to spend time with more than 10 to 15 prospective matches in a span of 2 to 2.5 hours. Both the daters get only a numbered card with a first name to avoid exchange of identification. He finally agreed. I made him promise to give me a full account of his sojourn in the event.
My cousin boasted a wall to wall grin on his face on his return from the event. “The girls were sitting,” he gushed. “The guys moved from table to table and talked to the girl on it for five minutes. We met, we judged, we decided. Both the girls and guys had numbered cards. We were told to tick the yes or no box to show our preference for the person to meet in future. I met 10 girls and ticked yes for three. The organisers would collate the yeses ticked on guys’ and girls’ cards and whosoever had the collective interest shown will be given details of each other to carry the matter further. The whole affair was done decently. What with the paucity of time in this age, it was a wonderful opportunity to have achieved so much in such a short period”
“You seem really happy!” Yes, I am happy and more because all the girls were relevant to me in terms of age, education, career and intellect.

No comments:

Post a Comment